If you’re thinking about selling your home, there’s so much you can do to bring your home to its full selling potential. First impressions are crucial for potential buyers. You don’t want to leave anything to chance when the appearance of your home is completely in your hands.
From your home’s curb appeal to your home’s closets, you can take steps to make your home look its absolute best. The time, energy, and money you invest in making your home sparkle will return to you multifold when your ideal buyer makes an offer. Here are steps you can take to make your home look more appealing and more spacious:
Yes, it’s a catchphrase, but it’s true. Potential buyers will hop in their car to check out your home as soon as it hits the market. Not to mention, real estate agents will drive-by before sharing a new listing with their clients. Your home’s curb appeal is a priority.
- Paint your front door if necessary
- Polish door fixtures and light fixtures on the exterior of your home
- Invest in a new welcome mat
- Paint the exterior of your home if it needs a fresh coat
- Freshen up your landscaping with potted plants and flowers
- If you have a yard, be sure to cut the grass and pull the weeds
Declutter + Depersonalize
Your goal is to make your home look like a model designed for showings. Make the interior of your home look spacious by clearing out the rooms and closets as much as possible. Remove personal photos and objects and anything you wouldn’t find in a high-end hotel room. You may consider renting a storage unit to house everything you won’t need to make your home look smashing! You may not be able to live as you usually do while selling your home, but it will be worth it when the offers come pouring in.
- Put away everything, either on a shelf or in a drawer or in a box headed for storage
- Organize your closets. You don’t want it to look like there isn’t enough space to live comfortably in your home. Closet and cabinet space is a high priority for buyers. Make it look like there’s plenty of room to store their belongings.
- Put away all papers
- Put away kitchen appliances that you don’t use every day
- Remove as much as possible from the kitchen counter
- Remove everything from the refrigerator – bye, bye, magnets!
- If you have children’s toys, pack up as many of the toys as possible
- Organize and clean out your garage
Clean Until It Sparkles!
Even if you need to hire a cleaning service, clean your newly decluttered home from top to bottom. You’ll want it to look and smell fresh and new. And once your home is listed, you’ll need to keep up rigorous cleaning to ensure your home looks its best for every showing.
- Steam clean the carpets and replace if necessary
- Refinish and polish flooring
- Dust everything
- Wash baseboards
- Hire someone to clean your windows
- Clean the kitchen inside and out: stove, oven, exhaust hood, refrigerator. And organize both the cabinets and refrigerator.
- Clean the bathroom inside and out: clean soap residue from the shower, clean the track of a sliding shower door, repair missing grout, purchase a new shower curtain and a new bath mat.
New Abode Real Estate: Knowledge. Guidance. Collaboration.
If our pre-listing home preparation list is in your future, New Abode can help you with the next steps in the selling process. Whether you’ve already taken these pre-listing steps or you’re thinking about it, New Abode can partner with you to find your buyer.
Our agents will…
- Take the time to get to know you and your home
- Share our knowledge about navigating the home selling process
- Connect with you to identify potential buyers
- Coordinate showings to easily accommodate your schedule
- Discuss with you the pros and cons of your offers to select the best fit for you
- Negotiate offers to get you favorable price and terms
Schedule your free consultation today!
To begin the search for your buyer, contact a New Abode agent today for expert advice for a seamless transaction.